How To Make A Complaint

How To Make A Complaint

How to make a complaint about VACFSS services?

If you are unsatisfied with services, you may make a complaint by contacting the Quality Assurance Advisor.

You may want to make a complaint if:

  • You feel you were treated unfairly
  • You weren’t asked to give input on decisions affecting you
  • You were denied VACFSS services
  • Your rights as a child in care were ignored (see the Ministry’s booklet, Know your Rights)

Steps to resolve your concerns +/-

Step 1 :  Contact the Quality Assurance Advisor

The QAA will:

  • Explain the process;
  • Record your complaint for tracking purposes;
  • Inform the involved parties about your complaint.
Step 2:  Attempt Local Resolution

First, talk it over with the VACFSS social worker and his or her supervisor to try and work things out.

Second, if your discussion with the social worker or supervisor is unsuccessful, consider requesting a meeting, a facilitated talking circle, mediation, or Family Group Decision Making to resolve your complaint.

Step 3:  Request a Review

If you are not satisfied after attempting local resolution, you may ask the Quality Assurance Advisor for a Review.

The Quality Assurance Advisor will give you information about the review process & review authority.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of these reviews, you may request assistance from the Ombudsman at 1-800-567-3247.  You may also visit their website at

You may have a support person assist you. This should be someone whom you trust and who will help you reach resolution (e.g. relative, friend, community worker, elder you respect, caregiver).

If you would like an interpreter, please let us know.

Complaints about concerns that are currently before the court are not eligible for review by the QAA.

Wanna know more about your rights?  Check out these videos produced by the VACFSS Youth Advisory Committee.