At Vancouver Aboriginal Child & Family Services Society (VACFSS), we ensure that the rights, safety, well-being and spirit of Indigenous children and families are upheld, honored and protected. We strive to eliminate oppression, discrimination and marginalization within our community. We acknowledge and honor the inherent wisdom, capacity and resourcefulness of our community in designing programs and services to care for our own children and families. Accordingly, we are dedicated to planning, developing, and implementing creative and innovative Indigenous programs and services in collaboration with members of our community and other agencies.
VACFSS is seeking Casual Administrative Assistants to support our programs including Child Protection, Guardianship, Resources, Family Preservation and Infrastructure on an on-call basis. Casual employees may be asked to take on short term assignments (1 to 5 days) or long term assignments (2 weeks to 3 months) based on their availability and the needs of the Program requiring support. This is a great opportunity to start with our Agency and Casual employees will have the ability to apply to permanent full-time and term opportunities that come up in the organization.
Reporting to the Supervisors of Administrative Services the Administrative Assistants provide administrative support to the programs at any one of VACFSS 3 offices by providing a variety of confidential and professional administrative support services to programs, departments and staff. This position will assist various agency programs by maintaining client files, preparing documentations, correspondence, reports and other information as required utilizing various computer applications; and providing switchboard duties as needed. Some other administrative duties include ordering/requesting applicable forms, booklets, or program supplies, completing large volume mail outs using mail merge and completing computer entry to the client case management system. These functions and all other duties will be performed in a courteous, professional manner and require working collaboratively in a team environment. Successful candidates will be task orientated and willing to demonstrate effective teamwork, initiative, organization and interpersonal skills. This role is a frontline position where you will be the first contact with our clients, partner agencies/organizations and other professional colleagues.
A complete position profile will be provided to candidates at the time of interview.
Education, Training and Experience:
- A certificate in an administrative program.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of various filling systems and maintenance.
- Five years’ experience working in an office setting.
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures.
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Proven work experience in administration or similar role in a fast pace stressful work environment;
- Proficiency in using Windows based computer applications including MS Office (Outlook, Excel, Work, Word, and PowerPoint) and other standard computer applications.
- An ability to quickly learn new computer applications and programs.
- Ability to type 50 wpm keyboarding is required.
- Knowledge of and ability to maintain filing systems.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with team members, other VACFSS colleagues, and personnel of other agencies in the community.
- Ability to work with clients in a respectful and culturally-sensitive manner.
- Ability to engage with emotionally heightened clients or clients facing stressful situations;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- This position requires Union membership.
- Applications will be accepted from applicants of all genders.
- Applications will be accepted from Indigenous candidates only per Section 41 of the Human Rights Code.
- This position requires the incumbent to be available in the office and follow COVID-19 safety guidelines and protocols. Remote work is unavailable.
We’re committed to providing safe and healthy workspaces in all our office locations to protect our employees, clients including children, youth, and families, caregivers as well as community partners. Due to the nature of our Agency’s work in providing essential services, VACFSS will require all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by November 22, 2021. Proof of vaccination will be required as of this date for staff and will apply to new employees to the Agency. VACFSS will consider its obligations to accommodate those staff who are unable to be vaccinated.
This interim mandatory employee policy is intended to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of our employees, clients, and the public.
Situated on the unceded and occupied territories of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh), and Stó:lō nations.